Internet Access and Computer Classes
9:30 am - 5:45 pm
Monday - Saturday
On the Mezzanine
The main lab consists of 40 Dell PCs with large capacity hard drives and flat-screen monitors in a public setting. Computers run Windows 7 Operating System and are connected to high speed internet. Software includes Microsoft Office Suite 2007. Wireless access is available for patrons with their own laptops.
Using Personal Laptop Computers and Other Internet Access Devices
Three dual-computer stations afford a parent accompanying a small child to be seated together at a distance from the main lab.
A special workstation offers 3.5" floppy access, a card-reader for digital cameras and memory sticks, a document scanner, and CD-creating capability in a semi-private setting for special projects such as educational courses and job applications.
Use of the lab is free, subject to the Computer Use Policy outlined below. Both color and black & white printing is available for a small fee ($0.10 per page b&w; $0.50 per page color).
The library has free wireless access throughout the building. Patrons may bring their own laptop computers and internet access devices to the library and connect to our wireless network: LabRLWireless (or LabRLWireless 2)
Printing is possible from personal laptop computers for patrons willing to install library printer drivers. Printing must be picked up at the computer lab on the mezzanine. A nominal fee is charged at the time of printing. ($0.10 per page b&w; $0.50 per page color).
To install a library printer driver on your laptop, connect to the library's wireless network: LabRLWireless (or LabRLWireless 2). Open your internet browser and navigate to http://192.168.1.50/uniprint. Choose the "Packages" tab and click the link "Wireless Printers for Laptops" to install the appropriate drivers.
Computer Use Policy
Free classes are offered in basic computer skills, web browsing, and setting up a free email account.
Basic Computer Courses informational brochure:
For more information and to register for classes, contact the computer lab at (409) 763-8854 ext.130.
Top of Page
- Computer use is free, limited to 3 hours per day per patron ages 7 and older with a library or computer card, and 90
minutes per day for persons with a visitor pass. Extended time may be requested if needed for special projects. Ask at the desk.
- Printing is available for a nominal fee.
- Pornographic sites are strictly forbidden.
- Please remember this is a library: speak quietly, and do your visiting outside.
- No food or drink is permitted in the lab areas.
- No telephone use is permitted except as absolutely necessary, e.g. to complete online business transactions.
- Small children may not be left unattended and must be quiet. There are computers in the Children's Department on the main floor specifically for young children.