Rosenberg Library Galveston, Texas
The Board of Directors of the Rosenberg Library in Galveston, Texas, is seeking its next Executive Director, an accomplished leader who will continue the Library’s long tradition of serving the community. Rosenberg Library Association is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization which receives operating funds from the City of Galveston, but must rely on donations and grants from private individuals and foundations for major capital improvements and repairs to the building. A carefully managed endowment also provides a portion of the Rosenberg Library’s annual operating income.
Rosenberg Library is the oldest public library in Texas in continuous operation. With funding provided through a bequest from Henry Rosenberg, the Rosenberg Library Association was organized as a private corporation in 1900 to give free library service to all Galvestonians. As such, it is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization which is not owned or operated by the city. The Library is governed by a board of twenty trustees, who meet annually to elect a nine-member board of directors. In addition to a wide array of public library services, the beautifully restored 75,000 square foot Rosenberg Library building also houses one of the most important archives in the state on the history of Galveston and the early settlement of Texas up through the Civil War. There is also a large collection of art and artifacts along with meeting rooms for public use, a very active children’s department with on-going activities and a technology department with state-of-the-art equipment available to the public. The Library has a $4.6M operating budget and a staff of 39 FTE. Rosenberg Library also serves as the headquarters for the Galveston County Library System, a federated library system of eight independent public libraries.
Qualifications, Duties and Responsibilities
- A progressive forward-thinking leader with innovative and creative solutions
- Experience in community-building and developing partnerships with external stakeholders
- Executive level organizational leadership and direction to ensure optimal operations
- Experience in fiscal oversight, budgeting and long-range strategic planning
- Experience / professional interest in archives and art / gallery management
- Knowledge of latest technology available and necessary to optimize the Library’s offerings
Minimum requirements include ten years of professional library experience with at least five years of senior level administrative experience, a MLS from an ALA accredited program and/or equivalent background and experience that will enable the candidate to effectively perform the work required. A Masters in Arts or Humanities will also be considered.
The Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Send Resume to: Please submit resume and a completed job application to email@example.com – Rosenberg Library application forms are available at https://rosenberg-library.org/about/about-the-library/employment-opportunities/
Job Title: Desktop Support Engineer I
Hours per week: 40 hours per week; must be available to work some Saturdays and evenings
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Supervisor: Computer Services Manager
Education: Bachelor’s degree (Other combinations of education and experience which meet minimum qualifications may be considered.)
Experience: Minimum of two years previous experience in maintaining computer/networking equipment highly desirable. Applicant must have a proficient knowledge of computer and networking hardware, software installation and configuration, databases, standard office software, imaging software and cabling.
Personal Attributes: Dependable, neat in appearance, effective and accurate communication and documentation skills, organized, above average attention to detail, ability to work independently, demonstrates an ongoing commitment to a high level of customer service quality and the ability to quickly and efficiently troubleshoot and resolve problems.
Functions and Duties
- Maintains, diagnoses, repairs, and upgrades hardware and software for all public and staff computers, thin clients and other equipment and peripherals such as printers, scanners, RFID equipment, wireless routers, electronic bulletin boards, patron counters, self-check machines, 3-D printers, laser cutter/etchers, iPads, and related equipment.
- Troubleshoots and repairs hardware components.
- Physical set up of computers and software system installation for various computer applications and programs including the use of imaging software.
- Maintains Image Library of all Rosenberg Library desktops.
- Create, maintain and manage virtual desktops for the Public Computer Lab.
- Tests computers on a rotating basis to ensure that computer systems are functioning properly.
- Provides training to staff on how to use computer hardware and software systems.
- Monitors and maintains Helpdesk Ticket system and communicates with appropriate staff to address tickets as required. Follow through on open tickets to resolve requests.
- Maintains and upgrades designated computer systems or provides recommendations on upgrades needed.
- As directed by the Computer Services Manager, assists with periodic examinations of network hardware equipment and regular upgrades and maintenance.
- Maintains networking systems, infrastructure including cabling (installation and termination), switches and other network hardware as designated.
- Physically able to lift, transport and install computer equipment within the library.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date inventory records of library computers, electronic equipment and software licenses.
- Assists in the maintenance of library automation hardware (self-checks, automated book return, etc.).
- As directed by the Computer Services Manager, research and/or purchase computer and related equipment and departmental supplies.
- Set up and assist patrons with electronic equipment in the library meeting rooms.
- Monitors the Computer Lab as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Please submit resume and a completed job application to Jay Sims – Rosenberg Library application form available below.